It is important that each and every one of us realize that nine times out of ten, when we are looking at long-term care options like Assisted Living in St. Augustine, it can be a very difficult decision. Keep in mind, you are not buying merchandise. You are seeking a secure, pleasant environment that offers excellent care and an optimum quality of life for your loved one. It’s critical they get the care they deserve.
MOST IMPORTANT: Go to licensed facilities. A licensed facility is inspected on a regular basis. Regulations and standards for operation must be followed and met according to the laws established within the state. Don’t settle on the first one you visit if you’re not sure. You can schedule tours of different facilities in order to compare. Also keep in mind the type of assisted living your loved one(s) need.
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING UPON YOUR VISIT
Inquire about the ownership, management, and administration of the Assisted Living Facility (ALF).
- How long has the company operated the facility?
- What are the background/ experience of the individuals who are currently running the ALF?
- What days and times are they available for you and your family to visit?
Ask about the number of residents who live at the ALF and the number of residents who are licensed to reside.
- Discern the staff to resident ratio.
- How many staff work at the ALF and when?
Understand the scope of care.
- Does the facility offer assistance in the Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)? (These activities are: eating, bathing, moving around, etc.)
Consider the services offered.
- What is included in the resident fee?
- Is food covered?
- What is additional?
- Is the room one fee and all other needs are charged accordingly?
- Is hairstyling offered and is there an extra charge?
- What supplies are included in the fee?
- How often are showers provided?
- What are the activities offered?
Discuss the House Rules.
- What are the visiting hours?
- If your loved one is no longer able to walk is he or she asked to leave or moved to another facility?
Discuss the fees.
- How often are the rates changed?
- Is there a deposit or community fee?
- What is refundable?
Visit the facility multiple times if need be, until you’re secure and feel comfortable placing your loved one in their care. Ask for references—word of mouth is important. Speak to past and current caregivers of residents.
Continue to ask questions. Information is key to the placement decision. Riverside Cottages is a great option for assisted living in St. Augustine. We offer a high staff to resident ratio, the best, hands-on care around, and a true passion for assisted living. If you are unsure about our facility, please call us at 904.501.5149. If our facility is not a match for your loved one, we would be happy to refer to one that might be more suitable for his/her needs.